Aloha! New adventure=new blog. I am no longer writing under the 'seoul mates' blog and now have this blog, all about ohana (hawaiian word for family) Thiel!
I think Cody is looking forward to Korea, but I am LOVING HAWAII! I feel like I have found my destiny. All of my life I have been this half-Japanese girl trapped in a place that's filled with jello, baked goods and white people. (I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, it's just how it is!) Most of the population are Asians here, especially Japanese, and I feel like I am home in a way.
I am especially excited about the food! They have everything I love! Lots of sushi, pineapple, and macadamia nuts. I'm in heaven.
When we arrived at the airport, we were greeted by a guide, and given a pooka shell necklace. (It wasn't a fresh flower lei, but still had that aloha touch) And she helped us find our 4 suitcases at baggage claim, then off we went to our hotel.
Our first full day was apartment hunting and checking out the UH campus. There are trees here that spontaneously grow flowers. These flowers had just fallen out of their tree and I put them in my hair. I love how abundant the tropical floral and fauna are! Another reason this place matches me so well.
Just walking the downtown of Waikiki. No walk is ever boring.
"Oh snap! This is gonna be a problem!" was the first thing I thought when I saw this! I absolutely love macadamia nuts, especially coated in chocolate. You would not believe the store displays and the varieties. They are my weakness!
Cody bought this thing called a "musubi", which is spam, rice, seasoning and seaweed. He loved it and it has inspired him. Guess what he has for his breakfasts?
This is our church building. It is amazing; all of the doors face to the outside courtyard. And every speaker greets us with a big "Aloooha!"
There is a reason the license plates here have a picture of the rainbow on them. It hardly rains where we are, but it rains daily in the mountains. There are frequent rainbows. This is just one view from our new apartment.
Hawaii really is incredible- way better than I thought it would be. It's been relieving that it really is not expensive like people "warned" us, so that's been a pleasant surprise. (Keeping in mind we just moved from NYC) We are minutes away from the beach. There are fireworks every Friday night at Waikiki. The blue water of the sea and ocean life is awesome.
And all the little things make me happy too. Like seeing so many cute Asian babies, or fresh leis for sale at WalMart of all places, and garbage cans that say "Mahalo" (thanks)!





Sounds like heaven! Miss you guys!
ReplyDelete