Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Life as a UH "Rainbow Warrior"

Yes, it's true.  University of Hawaii's mascot is the rainbow warrior.  Rumor says it used to be just the 'rainbows', so this is good.
I do feel so grateful to be going to school here.  In some ways, I like it a lot more than BYU.  I guess there are just pros and cons to each institution.

We have been busy into school and looking for work.  There are some prospects, I will let you know when things are more secure.

Cody's program has been way more intensive and busy than I realized.  Is this what it's going to be like for the next several years, as he completes his Master's and PhD?  I decided I need to get a life, or a little dog.  ;)

This is what I have been doing with my extra time:
Oh my goodness I love it!  I have been waiting so long to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay after I read the Hunger Games a few months ago.  Now I finally get the chance and I am just hauling through them.

One of the classes I am taking is called "Tropical Fruits."  We get to learn about all sorts of different kinds of tropical fruits obviously, and get a taste testing session each class!
Today we learned about fruits of the 'Sapindaceae': lychee, longan, rambutan and pulasan.
We were able to sample 2 different Hawaiian varieties of Lychee and some longan.
My taste buds are totally not used to this kind of stuff.  It was like a juicy, bitter experience.  I think I have this image of myself liking and eating all sorts of exotic fruits, when in reality I am a simple girl.  Give me an apple a day, that's all I ever need.

Cody finally "splurged" and got ice cream.  He was SO happy.  I was glad to see him so happy.  It's crazy that it was cheaper than the milk from Walmart, which is a steal of a deal relatively.

Well despite the lack of care to the grass here, the plants are really neat.  Many of the trees are labeled, telling you what kind they are.  It is an educational experience.  Cody and I came upon a "money tree"- they really do exist!

No comments:

Post a Comment