Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Right Under our Noses

Sometimes awesome things to do or places to visit are "right under our noses."  It's like the saying of "having a vacation in your own backyard."  I am always amazed to find new trails or parks or exciting things to do, that are in close proximity to where we live in the city area.

Cody and I went for a nice long walk to Ehime Maru Memorial.  It is a memorial park for some students who died in an accident just a few years ago.  It is an awesome park, located right on the shoreline, and I think often goes unnoticed.  Not only was going to the park cool, but the journey there was cool as well.  It was fun to go past the marine harbors and see new parts of the city.  (By the way, I love downtown Honolulu!  It reminds me of Manhattan, except bigger, cleaner, nicer, and greener.)

A view of Honolulu city (Cody is an amazing photographer huh?  It didn't look this awesome in person)

 Fun Fisherman's Wharf picture

We took lots of pictures using the flash to create an overexposed lighting look.  I'm a fan.


On another note, I went on my last field trip of the semester for organic farming.   We went to Olomana Gardens.  It was really fascinating- there was lots I learned, I don't know how to make sense of it all.  But basically they are very innovative with aquaponics farming systems and all sorts of sustainability efforts.  Pretty neat stuff.

They had a bunch of animals there too- like goats, horses, ducks, chickens, roosters, and pigs!
Check out that pot-bellied big.  It was a big guy!  I was thinking I have never been so close to a pig before (and then I remembered that back in high school I kissed a pig... twice.  It was for a homecoming charity thing)
 I am grateful to get to go on these field trips and see parts of the island not many people get to see or experience.

Today in tropical fruits class we tried some fruits from the cactus family!  Who knew you could eat, or even purchase, fruits grown on cacti?  Don't forget to take off the pokies! And don't eat the skin!
The bright red fruit is 'dragonfruit' and the yellow one is 'pitaya.'  The pitaya is yummy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment